Seligman School Counselor's Corner
Welcome to our Counselor's Corner!
During stressful times, students and parents need a healthy escape. A virtual calming room is a place where you can find tools and strategies for managing emotions and feelings.
Click on the button below for great ideas courtesy of Corona-Norco Unified School District.
Even young children experience anxiety and stress. Several tips that can help reduce stress and anxiety, especially during COVID, include:
- Limiting exposure to media, especially before bedtime.
- Setting up safe ways for children to connect with their peers. It is important for children to be able to receive (and provide) warm, comforting, social support by video, phone, or text when they cannot do so in person.
- Helping your children express kindness, patience, and compassion.
- Creating new routines and keep working to increase your family’s healthy behaviors (i.e. daily exercise, regular sunshine, and healthy eating).
Career and College Preparation
Work to determine the lifestyle that you wish to have after high school, then figure out how to make it happen. It is never too early to start considering career and college options. Here are some options:
- Complete multiple aptitude/interest inventories (see below), and narrow down a few job areas you may like to explore further.
- Spend time thinking about what you may enjoy doing and variables that you value most in a job.
- Talk to your family, friends, and teachers to see if they feel you could be successful in some of the careers you have selected.
- If you wish to attend college, as close to October as possible, seniors should strive to complete their FAFSA application.
While in high school, you can learn high earning and marketable skills through Mountain Institute CTED. Vocational and technical training is a wise path. Students who acquire vocational and technical skills do dynamic work, earn impressive incomes (often more than college graduates), and are in high demand in today’s job market.
As close to October as possible, seniors should strive to complete their FAFSA application if they wish to attend college.
Hi, my name is Shawn, and I provide academic, career, social, and emotional learning support at Seligman Unified School District. Please let me know how I may best support your child.
Shawn Barnett-Hansen, M.A
Mobile: (928) 356-2400